The Top 5 Safe Search Engines for Kids
By Jonathon Wylie
The following search engines for kids are designed to help provide your children with a safe environment with which to navigate the Internet. Each offers a filtered search service that eliminates inappropriate results and keeps your kids focused on the information they really need.
1. Safe Search – This search engine was the brainchild of a UK company that is dedicated to providing the best online resources for kids. It uses Google’s SafeSearch technology to filter out offensive content and also removes distracting ads from search results. It is a great site for home and school use.
2. Fact Monster – Does your child need help researching an assignment for school? Visit Fact Monster – a free online almanac, dictionary, encyclopedia and thesaurus – and they will quickly find the information they need. It is meant for kids aged 8-14 years old, and is packed full of all kinds of facts and figures. The dedicated homework section offers help with common school topics, and the rest of the site is updated regularly to give details about current events and holidays.
3. Ask Kids – Aimed at 6-12 year olds, Ask Kids also does a great job at finding relevant, age-appropriate content from the web. It is optimized to respond to a typical child’s keyword search and it pulls results from a database of sites that Ask.com’s editorial staff have deemed appropriate and safe for student learning. It is undoubtedly one of the best search engines for kids today.
4. Quintura for Kids – Quintura is a great visual search engine that will quickly hone down broad search terms and provide a focused list of sites that are most relevant to your child. Here’s how it works. If you search for a broad term like ‘dog’, a cloud above it appears for you to select additional terms like ‘pet care’ or ‘breed’. Clicking on one or more of these reduces the number of sites in your results page to a more manageable amount. These suggested sites are also all rated safe for children to visit.
5. Go Gooligans – An unusual name? Sure. One of the safest and most underrated search engines for kids? Absolutely! It has a seven step security filter to ensure that only the most appropriate sites are displayed, the ability to narrow your search by a certain type of website, and the choice on what region of the world you want to search. It is quick, intuitive, and a great search engine for kids of all ages.
No search engine is going to be 100% effective against inappropriate online content, but if you want to let your kids explore the Internet on their own, these great search tools are easily one of the best ways to ensure that they will find relevant information in a safe, kid-friendly setting. They are not a replacement for a vigilant and responsible adult, but they could just be the next best thing!
Jonathan Wylie is the owner of The Education Technology Blog, a website dedicated to helping teachers advance the use of technology in the classroom. He is a teacher, husband, and proud father, but also works as a freelance writer for several online publications. Jonathan is originally from Scotland, but now lives and works in rural Iowa. He has a love for education, photography, computers, and just about any gadget that he can get his hands on.
Tags: homework, kids, school, search engines, technology
5 Responses to “The Top 5 Safe Search Engines for Kids”
Leave a Reply